Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Car Insurance Santa Ana CA: Target Up Insurance Is Expanding
SANTA ANA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Santa Ana CA - After 30 plus years in the insurance business providing excellent coverage at reasonable prices to their customers, Target Up Insurance is pleased to announce their expansion into the Santa Ana area. There are plenty of national chains and insurance companies already in the Santa Ana region, but Target Up is ...
AutoInsuranceApe.com?s New Infographic Helps Clients Compare Car Insurance Quotes and Discounts
The Illustrated Infographic Educates Readers About 17 Different Types of Car Insurance Discounts Available on the Market Los Angeles, CA / ACCESSWIRE / Aug 21, 2014 / AutoInsuranceApe.com, a website that ...
A Primer on Student Car Insurance Discounts
A good student discount can help lower your insurance premium and give college kids and teens an incentive to hit the books.
Uber, Lyft, Sidecar fight to block new California regulations
Ride-sharing companies, lobbyists and lawmakers this week have been negotiating last-minute tweaks to rules on insurance, background checks, drug testing and more that could drastically affect these services' availability and price.
General Car Insurance for New Drivers Now Quoted Online at Insurance Website
General car insurance is now being quoted for new drivers who use the independent system built at the Quotes Pros website at http://quotespros.com/auto-insurance.html . (PRWeb August 27, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/general-car-insurance/car-insurance-quote-tool/prweb12127427.htm
10 Best New-Car Deals For September Announced By KBB.com
IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The experts from Kelley Blue Book www.kbb.com , the only vehicle valuation and information source trusted and relied upon by both consumers and the automotive ...
Renesas Electronics New R-Car V2H Device Offers High-Resolution Image Recognition for Safer Driver Assistance Systems ...
Renesas Electronics Corporation , today announced the availability of its R-Car V2H, the company?s newest system-on-a-chip implementing state-of-the-art image recognition technology to support high-resolution surround viewing in advanced driver assistance systems .
It Pays to Be Gray: Senior Driver Discounts
Everyone wants to reduce their auto insurance premiums, right? Well, in 34 states and the District of Columbia getting older can be the ticket to cheaper car insurance. All you have to do is pass an approved driving class that...
Uber, Lyft, Sidecar Fight To Block New Regulations
Aug. 13--When you use a smartphone app like Uber, Sidecar or Lyft, you're probably thinking about the convenience of summoning a quick ride to get you where you're going, not about who'll be behind the wheel or what kind of insurance they have.
It's Raining Lawsuits: Do You Need An Umbrella Policy?
This type of insurance protects your assets and future wages against lawsuits. Find out if it might benefit you.