Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
10 Step Checklist for Labor Day Car Shopping
Labor Day is a federally-recognized holiday which celebrates hardworking Americans with a day off from work. TrueCar.com estimated that Labor Day weekend last year would boast 1.13 million unit sales among the country's leading automotive manufacturers. With the car-buying trend likely to pick up at a similar speed from the last Labor Day weekend, it's clear that now is the best time to buy a ...
How to Buy a Car With Low or No Credit
Like mortgage lending, auto financing got tougher after 2008, especially for those with low or no credit. Many Americans held onto their cars rather than upgrading because they couldn't get financing or worried about taking on an auto loan amid layoffs, hiring freezes and other uncertainty. The not-so-good news, if you have credit issues, is that you'll often pay a premium for financing to cover ...
Can I Buy Insurance After Being Injured In An Accident?
The health law's ban on pre-existing conditions doesn't mean you can buy a plan after you get sick. Most people have to wait for the open enrollment period.
New electric car club in Stratford is first of its kind in UK
Pay-per-use E-Car Club offers chance to hire one of four vehicles each with own parking space and charging points around town
Cheapest Cities You Will Want to Live In
Cities with super-low living costs can suffer from high unemployment, poverty and a lack of services. To do so, we required that each city have below-average living costs, high household incomes relative to the cost of living, and an unemployment rate that's below the national average.
SPLC helps low-income people with traffic violations avoid jail
The City of Montgomery reached a settlement with the Southern Poverty Law Center on Wednesday that should help keep some people out of jail.
Tata AIG eyes Rs 3000 cr premium income this fiscal
Riding high on the optimism for economic revival, private sector insurer, Tata AIG General Insurance is eyeing premium income to touch Rs 3000 crore this fiscal, up 22 per cent from previous year?s Rs 2,456 crore.
Why commercial drivers hardly make motor insurance claims
Motor insurance is mandatory by law and also one of the most common and highly respected insurance policies in Ghana. Also known as vehicle/car/auto insurance, motor insurance is purchased for cars, trucks and other road vehicles.
Volokh Conspiracy: Subprime auto loans
Leaving aside the innuendo, what do we actually know about this market?
Angry Uber Drivers Break Out Of Low-Paying UberX Prison
There is one little downside to all these extended UberX deals NYC customers have been getting lately: the drivers aren't happy. A large group of Uber drivers, under the name Uber Drivers Network NYC , have been protesting the company all week?they've organized to strike this weekend and planned to show up with 1,000+ drivers at Uber's office on Monday. So Uber did something very un-Uber like ...