Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Renting a Car With Your Credit Card: The Devil Is in the Details
NEW YORK (MainStreet) -- Credit-card companies like to tout how you'll get free insurance if you rent a car using their card, but a detailed analysis finds that the coverage they provide sometimes excludes big SUVs, overseas rentals and more. "Most people probably have at least one card in their wallet that provides car-insurance coverage, but what's important to understand is that the devil is ...
Not Caring About Personal Privacy Might Lead to Auto Insurance Discounts, Says 4AutoInsuranceQuote
The Website Just Posted a New Article that Explains How People who are Not Concerned with this Issue Might Get Better Auto Insurance Rates New York, NY / ACCESSWIRE / September 12, 2014 / 4AutoInsuranceQuote.com, ...
Free Car Payment Insurance: What's The Catch?
Many dealers are offering payment protection plans on new cars. Are they right for you?
Detroit Has Most Expensive Car Insurance, Charlotte Has Cheapest
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Detroit has the most expensive car insurance and Charlotte has the cheapest, according to a new insuranceQuotes.com examination of average premiums in the ...
Car Insurance Santa Ana CA: Target Up Insurance Is Expanding
SANTA ANA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Santa Ana CA - After 30 plus years in the insurance business providing excellent coverage at reasonable prices to their customers, Target Up Insurance is pleased to announce their expansion into the Santa Ana area. There are plenty of national chains and insurance companies already in the Santa Ana region, but Target Up is ...
Car Insurance Yorba Linda CA: Target Up Insurance is Expanding
YORBA LINDA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Yorba Linda CA - Car insurance is not something many consider on a regular basis, and when it is time to start thinking, many just go with the first major company they find on the television or online. This is a shame, particularly because Target Up Insurance, a company with over 30 years of service in the Southern ...
BPI Family Auto Loan brings back Auto Madness Fever
GO CRAZY over the biggest car sale of the year from BPI Family Auto Loan as it brings back a bigger, better, and madder than ever, BPI Auto Madness this whole month of September! Enjoy ridiculously low loan rates, free 1-year comprehensive insurance, and a wide selection of participating car models, only from the Philippine?s first bank.
Detroit Tops U.S. In Car Insurance Costs
Detroit isn't just the car capital of the U.S. ? it's also the king of car-insurance costs. According to insuranceQuotes.com, a subsidiary of finance-info provider Bankrate Insurance, the Motor City and its metropolitan area lay claim to the dubious distinction...
Is a Car Lease for Business Tax-Savvy?
Leasing or buying a car for business can have tax benefits. Which is right for you?
A Primer on Student Car Insurance Discounts
A good student discount can help lower your insurance premium and give college kids and teens an incentive to hit the books.