Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
A Primer on Student Car Insurance Discounts
A good student discount can help lower your insurance premium and give college kids and teens an incentive to hit the books.
New Program from Liberty Mutual Insurance Play Positive? Renews Spirit of Sportsmanship in Youth Sports
BOSTON, Sept. 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With schools back in session and fall sports practices across the country underway, Liberty Mutual Insurance looks to shine a new light on the importance of sportsmanship in youth sports. Liberty Mutual today introduces the Play Positive? Pledge, an opportunity for youth sports teams and organizations to earn $2,500 for pledging their commitment to ...
Liberty Lake RV dealerships report more problems - Sat, 13 Sep 2014 PST
More problems were reported at RV dealerships in Liberty Lake the week of Sept. 2-8 after a summer of thefts and vandalism. The Liberty Lake Police Department responded twice to the 19000 block of East Cataldo Avenue on Sept. 2. Shortly after noon a business reported that someone had broken into an RV in a secured location and there was blood inside. There were no signs that anyone had forced ...
Insurers Keeping Drivers Happy Amid Rising Car Insurance Rates
Satisfaction with auto insurance has reached an all-time high, according to the latest J.D. Power survey.
Accident scam: Man faces 53 more charges
Fifty-three more charges were piled on a car workshop owner yesterday over an alleged road accident scam, bringing the total number he faces to 81. Sollihin Anhar, 41, allegedly schemed with others to cheat insurance companies into processing claims for staged accidents between 2011 and last year. They allegedly defrauded insurance companies such as Liberty, SHC, Tokio Marine, China Taiping, AXA ...
Slammer Slams, Swoop and Stop - Driver Awareness When it Comes to Auto Accidents and Fraud, is of Key Importance, Says ...
All too often, dishonest people will use schemes against unsuspecting drivers; Darras offers tips to spot a con and prevent being a potential victim. (PRWeb September 10, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/09/prweb12156756.htm
800+ Global Insurance Telematics Leaders Unite in Chicago Today to Rewrite the UBI Rule Book as Insurers Re-brand to ...
Telematics Update: Today, 800+ automakers, insurers, auto agents and telematics execs including Allstate, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Farmers Insurance and Ford have united at Insurance Telematics USA 2014 to discuss how to position UBI as a mainstream product by delivering undisputable value to consumers. (PRWeb September 03, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/09 ...
Drivers stranded in flooded streets across Hampton Roads
Currituck County and Northampton County, VA Public Schools are on a two hour delay Tuesday morning. VIRGINIA BEACH -- Heavy rain Monday caused flooded streets across Hampton Roads. In Suffolk, numerous vehicles were stranded on Respass Beach Road from Hampton Roads Parkway to Burbage Lake Circle. Officials said 18 to 30 inches of water covered the road. Several stranded drivers were helped by ...
Parents' Driving Behavior Is Not Better Than Teens'
NEW YORK ( MainStreet ) ? While parents are preaching to their children to avoid texting while driving and other onerous mistakes, they are guilty of committing those same driving infractions.
Windows to New Worlds
After 17 years of planning, fundraising, designing and building, the South Carolina State Museum?s new Windows To New Worlds project officially opens on Aug. 16. It includes a planetarium, 4D theater, observatory and an exciting and collaborative approach to education that can reach every school and give every student a chance to reach for the stars.
Best Sellers from