Eleven Money-Saving Auto Insurance Tips For Senior DriversBy Matt McWilliams
Like all drivers, senior citizens (or as I like to call them “seasoned citizens”) want to get the best rates on their auto insurance policies. What they may not be aware of is that older drivers may present a higher risk than other drivers, usually leading to higher auto insurance rates.
Following a few simple tips and taking these measures will ensure that you are getting the lowest rates possible on your auto insurance policy.
1. Avoid more Accidents, Pay Close Attention at Intersections. Auto accidents involving seniors often occur at intersections. Make sure to look ahead if you plan to quickly change lanes after an intersection. Pay attention to protected left turn lanes with their own arrows, and always keep your tires pointed straight ahead when stopped, so that a rear-end accident doesn't push you into oncoming traffic.
2. Follow the flow of traffic, Drive at the at or near the speed limit. Driving too slowly can be just as dangerous as speeding, especially when entering or exiting interstates or freeways. It can also trigger dangerous "road rage" in less patient drivers. You don’t have to be Mario Andretti, but keeping to the right and following the flow of traffic is the safest bet.
3. Many violations include failure to yield right-of-way, improper turning or incorrect lane changes, so keep current on the traffic laws relating to new traffic designs.
4. Sit high enough in your seat so that you can see at least 10 feet in front of your car, advises the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. If your car seat does not adjust to allow this, add a cushion. This will make it easier to see pedestrians and bike riders, and reduce problems from oncoming headlight glare at night.
5. Do not wear sunglasses or tinted glasses when driving at night. For many older drivers, night vision is reduced, so safety dictates not driving at twilight or after dark.
6. Make sure you learn how to operate a New Car. Things like Anti-lock brakes, for example operate differently in slippery situations. If you have never driven a car with anti-lock brakes, sure to get training on proper use.
7. Senior drivers can refresh their skills and knowledge -- and get a discount on auto insurance in many states -- by taking a refresher driving course, such as the eight-hour "55 Alive" course offered by AARP. More than two-thirds of states mandate auto insurance policy discounts for such courses, and many insurance companies offer the discounts voluntarily.
8. Look for cars with rear-view mirrors that automatically dim and filter out headlight glare.
9. Air bag technology has become more advanced, with sensors that deploy air bags based on the weight of the occupant, reducing air-bag-related injuries. Some new cars also have side air bags in the seats or door frame that offer better protection.
10. Consider fit and comfort in your new car. Seat belts that comfortably fit over your shoulder and low on your lap will keep you safer. Automatic transmission, power steering and power brakes require less physical effort.
11. Last but definitely not least, Check to see which companies offer specific ‘Senior Discounts’ While shopping around for the best auto insurance rates is important, which insurance company you choose might depend on how they treat senior drivers. You'll get their best rates if you're healthy and drive a safe, modern vehicle.
Detroit Has Most Expensive Car Insurance, Charlotte Has Cheapest
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Detroit has the most expensive car insurance and Charlotte has the cheapest, according to a new insuranceQuotes.com examination of average premiums in the ...
Car Insurance Mistakes to Avoid
No one?s a pro in making decisions the first time especially when money is involved. Choosing car insurance could be tricky as the providers? rates change every now and then because of several factors. Here are common mistakes when choosing car insurance: #1 Choosing Price over Coverage The cheapest is not always the best. Even [?] The post Car Insurance Mistakes to Avoid appeared first on ...
How Car Theft Affects Your Insurance Rates
See whether your car is on the latest list of most-stolen vehicles and how that might affect your premiums.
Action 9 helps woman after valet totals her car
If a valet service wrecks your car, who pays? A Casselberry woman can't believe a parking attendant totaled her car and then his company refused to even share insurance information. When Kristina Serrano headed to a club near Lake Eola, she left her car with a valet service. Just a minute after an attendant drove off with her Ford Mustang she heard, ?just like two cracks and you just heard the ...
Car Insurance Santa Ana CA: Target Up Insurance Is Expanding
SANTA ANA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Santa Ana CA - After 30 plus years in the insurance business providing excellent coverage at reasonable prices to their customers, Target Up Insurance is pleased to announce their expansion into the Santa Ana area. There are plenty of national chains and insurance companies already in the Santa Ana region, but Target Up is ...
Rental Car Crashes: 5 First Steps to Consider
Crashing a rental car can be a real nightmare, but you can try to prepare for the worst . Not only are there practical tips you can follow, but you should also consider the legal ramifications.
Car Insurance Yorba Linda CA: Target Up Insurance is Expanding
YORBA LINDA, Calif., Sept. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Yorba Linda CA - Car insurance is not something many consider on a regular basis, and when it is time to start thinking, many just go with the first major company they find on the television or online. This is a shame, particularly because Target Up Insurance, a company with over 30 years of service in the Southern ...
Car Insurance Anaheim CA: Target Up Insurance is Expanding
ANAHEIM, Calif., Sept. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- Car Insurance Anaheim CA - Target Up Insurance Services, a leader in Southern California insurance for the best rates and premiums is pleased to announce they are expanding their services to include the Anaheim, Calif., area. Providing the best in car, home and life insurance, Target Up has a solid reputation of working with anyone to get the ...
Questions To Ask Before Buying Car Insurance
Here is the Philippines, where calamities are out of control and where traffic is terrible especially in Metro Manila. Or it could also be a combination of both. Getting your car insured has always been an essential for car owners? protection on time, effort and money. But since no one?s a pro on the first [?] The post Questions To Ask Before Buying Car Insurance appeared first on MoneyMax.ph ...
How Credit Scores Can Boost Home Insurance Premiums
Got so-so credit? You are likely paying more in premiums than people with excellent credit.
Best Sellers from